Dune, by Frank Herbert, was published in 1965. It’s the first installment of the Dune saga, and is frequently cited as the best-selling science fiction novel of all time.
There are six novels in the Dune Series by Frank Herbert:
- Dune – Published in 1965
- Dune Messiah – Originally serialized in the Galaxy magazine in 1969
- Children of Dune – Published in 1976, it became the first hardcover best-seller in the science fiction genre
- God Emperor of Dune – Published in 1981
- Heretics of Dune – Published in 1984
- Chapterhouse: Dune – Publisher in 1985
Frank Herbert died in 1986. At the time of his death he’d been planning to write a seventh novel in the Dune series. Two decades later, Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson published two sequels. Hunters of Dune came out in 2006 and Sandworms of Dune was published in 2007. These two books were based in part on Frank Herbert’s notes for the seventh Dune novel.